Montenegro – Citizenship by Investment
What’s So Attractive About Montenegro & Its Citizenship Program?
Montenegro, a country by the Adriatic Sea in Southeast Europe is also an attractive destination for foreign investors because of its ease of doing business, better quality of life, mobility, and security.
To capitalise on the attraction it holds for international business owners, Montenegro announced a citizenship by investment program on Oct 1, 2018 for foreign investors, which came into force on Jan 1, 2019, and will apply until Dec 31, 2021. The program will run for an initial period of three years, offering investment citizenship to 2000 foreign investors.
Why Should You Consider Opting for Montenegro Citizenship?
Montenegro’s citizenship gives you these benefits, apart from being in a beautiful seaside country with beautiful architecture and a picturesque view:
You will be able to travel to 125 other countries visa-free or exercise visa on arrival, including Europe's Schengen area (visa-free up to 90 days), Russia, and UAE
There are no restrictions on dual citizenship, and you will not have to forfeit the other country's citizenship if you don't want to
Montenegro is a future candidate for EU membership, which means you will be able to move around freely in other European countries as well
There's no inheritance or gift tax, and the income generated through Montenegro is taxed at 9 –11%, and capital gains tax stands at 9%
Can You Live and Work in the US with a Montenegrin Citizenship?
Yes, you can live and work in the US with Montenegro citizenship. This is possible because of the E2 treaty that was signed between the two countries. With the aid of this treaty, as a citizen of Montenegro, you can apply for an E2 investor visa to reside and work in the US as an investor or entrepreneur to develop your business or acquire a business franchise.
Nysa Global’s Citizenship by Investment Program for Montenegro
Here are the program highlights of the Citizenship by Investment program for Montenegro:
- As a citizen of Montenegro, you will earn the right to live, work and study in Montenegro permanently
- This program extends to dependent that include the spouse, children below 18 and dependent parents
- There’s a requirement of an interview for this program
- The processing time of the visa is 3 months
- You don’t need to establish a physical residence or need to fulfil any special language requirements during or after the application
Ready to take the first step to become a Montenegrin Citizen? Get in touch with us today.
Montenegro Citizenship by Investment Program Guidance
Requirements for the Montenegro Citizenship by Investment Visa
An applicant may acquire Montenegro citizenship by admission based on a special program if the following conditions are fulfilled:
- You will need to invest at least €250,000 in some of the development projects previously approved by the Government in an undeveloped area of Montenegro (North)
- Or you can also opt for investing €450,000 in some of the development projects previously approved by the Government in the developed area of Montenegro (South)
- You will need to maintain the investment for at least 5 years
- You will need to make an additional government donation of €100,000 in the form of a Government fee
Here are a few prerequisites:
As an applicant to this program, you should:
- Be a non-EU citizen
- Be at least 18 years old
- Have a police verification certificate and not have a criminal record
- Obtain a positive opinion from your international due diligence agent including proof of the origin of the money intended for payment and investment in accordance with this decision
Documents required for you and your spouse, children and other dependents
- An application form for citizenship approval
- A notarised passport copy (certified with an apostille, if applicable)
- The original excerpt of your birth record or certified copy of birth certificates
- Your health insurance policy, which has to be valid in Montenegro
- Your medical report, which has an infectious diseases assessment
- A clean criminal record for all adults for both countries of birth and residence
Documents required only from the main applicant:
- You will need to give your original bank statements as proof of financial resources
Montenegro Citizenship by Investment Process
Montenegro's citizenship is in high demand, and only the first 100 pre-enrolment requests will get guaranteed places within the quota of 2,000 applications. Here is the step by step procedure for pre-enrolment:
- Go through a preliminary check with your agent. Nysa Global can help with this
- Gather all your required documents and choose which real estate project you want to invest in
- Pay the investment and government fees and make the donation
- Submit all the documents
- Obtain the residency card
- After you submit your application for citizenship, due diligence will be conducted
- Travel to Montenegro to take a citizenship oath and provide your biometric data
- Finally you will receive your Montenegro citizenship
Montenegro Citizenship by Investment TimelineThe processing time is about 6 months to get your passport after you receive your residency card.
Cost DetailsApplication fee: As the main applicant, you will need to deposit €15,000 for an application, and an additional of €10,000 for up to 4 family members, and €50,000 for each subsequent family member.
Due diligence & background checks fees:You need to pay a fee for the due diligence check which is payable upon the submission of the application. The charges are as follows:
- The cost for the main applicant is €7000.
- The cost for a family of four, including the main applicant is €10000.
- Cost of an additional dependent over the age of 16 is €1500.
Other Programs Offered by Montenegro
Montenegro’s Residency by Investment Program:
What Sets Us Apart
As pioneers in the field of immigration, we’ve brought many firsts to India, especially the Expedited EB-5 Program for USA.
What Our Clients Say
No, but if you have citizenship in Montenegro, you can travel to EU Schengen countries without a visa. Montenegro is likely to become an EU member in 2025.
You will only need to travel to Montenegro once at the end of the procedure for the biometrics scan and to get your passport.
Montenegro offers attractive tax benefits to its citizens, and its admission scheme will only run for three years until Dec 31, 2021 and is likely to be closed after that.
Montenegro has a thriving real estate market which makes for an excellent investment opportunity in its many cities. You will see the prices of €1200 per square metre in a new residential building in the capital Podgorica, Montenegro. Budva in Montenegro is a coastal resort and Venetian port city, with sandy beaches and a diverse nightlife, welcoming over half a million visitors annually.